Search for a Composition!

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Id

When I first got to Interlochen, I was a little intimidated because most people seemed to know a lot more about composition and things in general than I did. Then we got into working on our first assignments-- for me, a woodwind quintet-- and I settled into a rhythm. I reminded myself that I was at Interlochen to get better, not be the best.
So came forth The Id.
According to Freud, there are three aspects of the human personality: The Id, the Super-Ego, and the Ego. The Id is the set of uncoordinated instinctual trends (food, water, sleep, etc.), the super-ego is the part of the personality that looks at things critically and morally (what would be a good, pure thing to do), and the ego is the realistic part that strikes a balance between the two.
So I decided to take inspiration from this and write a piece based on The Id-- basic needs that need to be attended to, and I came up with this. I hope you enjoy.

The Id, written summer of 2017 (3m22s)
Performed by Interlochen Arts Camp WYSO woodwind quintet
Recorded by Interlochen Public Radio (IPR)
Copyright ©2017 Michelle Pugh








No comments:

Post a Comment