I thought about what would sound great in a brass quintet, and the first thing that came to mind was a chorale. So I decided on that.
Now, admittedly, chorales aren't that fun to play. I could have taken advantage of the fact that I knew what was fun to play and written something that the players would enjoy. But I was becoming intrigued by chords and I really wanted to write a chorale.
The chorale I came up with, Ode to Simplicity, was exactly that-- simple, but even though it was simple, presented a very difficult piece to play. The first trumpet part especially is very, very difficult, and requires an amazing range and stamina to get through. I knew that when I wrote it-- I'm a trumpet player.
But the result of a good performance of this is mind boggling.
I decided to publish both the midi version and the live version of this piece. The live version isn't perfect, but I was happy with it. It's hard.
Ode to Simplicity, written summer of 2017 (3m2s/2m50s)
Performed by one of the Interlochen Arts Camp WYWS brass quintets
Recorded by Interlochen Public Radio
Copyright ©2017 Michelle Pugh




No comments:
Post a Comment